At FESTI, we aim to give you the answers you need to get ahead. Here are some of the frequently asked questions about training at FESTI. Need more from us?
Get in touch with us.
What firefighting training does FESTI offer?
Whether you’re new to firefighting or an established professional looking to upgrade your skills, FESTI offers a range of firefighting and emergency response courses. With our unique airport location, we are also able to offer aircraft rescue fire fighting training.
We’ve designed our professional, cost-effective firefighting and rescue training to be an A-Z education experience that provides all the tools you need to succeed. People who come to FESTI are making a career in essential emergency services, so we’re dedicated to giving our students the high-quality training they deserve. To learn more about our firefighting training, click here.
What emergency service training does FESTI offer?
FESTI offers a variety of emergency service training beyond firefighting alone, including emergency medical training courses. We also offer training in technical rescue, hazardous materials and airport wildlife management. To learn more about our emergency service training, click here.
Does FESTI offer CPR and first aid certification?
FESTI offers several CPR and first aid courses. Along with Standard First Aid and CPR training, which are open to anyone interested in gaining these important skills, we also offer training for emergency medical responders, including renewal training for working professionals. To learn more about our CPR and first aid courses, click here.
How do I register for a course at FESTI?
Once you’re familiar with the courses you want to take through FESTI, their requirements and associated costs, you can create a profile and register online, to do so click here.
What I can I expect when I register for a course at FESTI?
People who join FESTI can expect a range of unique training opportunities and real-world experiences that they won’t get anywhere else. Here’s what to expect when you join:
- Clean, modern facilities
- Small class sizes
- Complete range of fire hall equipment
- Unique grounds outfitted for a multitude of mock rescue scenarios
- Full-time faculty, full-time support
- Emphasis on academics
- Affiliations with Toronto Pearson Fire & Emergency Services
- Access to FESTI’s extensive partnerships
- A student mentoring program
- Leadership and corporate development
- Assistance with accommodations
- Consultation services
- A location adjacent to the world-class city of Toronto
At FESTI, we address training needs at all levels of your career. You may start your education with us, then find yourself back here one day upgrading your skills or focusing on developing your leadership. It is not uncommon for whole teams to train together at FESTI.
How do I become a firefighter?
A career as a firefighter starts with a thirst for excitement and passion for helping others. In general, these are the steps to becoming a firefighter through FESTI:
- Obtain your high school diploma
- Get your standard first aid and CPR level C certificates
- Assess your physical aptitude: 20/30 vision, complete FESTI physical activity readiness questionnaire
- Take the NFPA 1001 level I-II training program at FESTI or the Blended online program
- Write and pass the Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management exam to achieve your certification
- OPTION: Complete 6-step candidate testing services through the Ontario Fire Administration Inc.
- Apply for jobs with our support.
What is the average salary of a firefighter in Canada?
As any member of the FESTI team will tell you, becoming a firefighter is incredibly rewarding. As a firefighter, your salary will vary based on location, so it is best to research your specific area for the most accurate compensation information. In Canada, the average salary for a firefighter is $96,000 to $125,000 (as of 2019).
Firefighters are also eligible for group benefits typically specific to their collective agreement. Vision care, medical, and paramedical services are often included. Pension plans and sick leave benefits are also included in many firefighter compensation packages.
Of course, you can also expect an exciting and worthwhile career that’s far from the usual 9-to-5 desk job.